Friday, August 28, 2009

Long day of learning

Today was long and at times a bit hard. As I sit here in the trailer watching the girls maul each other and in general make a mess of their half of the pop up, I'm almost too tired to write. It was a warm day today and I can guarantee I'm more wore out because of it than Porsche, who did most of the work! LOL

We worked with Trudy this morning . The first run went pretty well overall, with me working to help Porsche find and maintain her balance point as I walked backwards. The second run of the morning was much, much harder. The sheep had a hard draw to the gate and I couldn't figure out how to move the sheep out of the corner and away from the gate without letting Porsche roar in, like she sometimes tries to do. I spent about two or three minutes protecting the sheep in the corner, when my brain clicked in.

WAIT! This isn't working. Find a better way. Oh yes! It's the DOG'S job to bring the sheep to me, not the other way around. Right! Check! Got it!

So, I moved out into the center of pen and asked Porsche to go get the sheep. It wasn't pretty, but she did her job and brought the sheep to me.

Hard session but well worth it as my brain got one more piece of the puzzle sorted out!




No comments:

Post a Comment