Thursday, August 27, 2009

Brilliant Day!


What an awesome day we had. It was nice and overcast all day so it was perfect working conditions. :)

After an early morning exercise where 20 of us got to be the dogs and move a sheep through an obstacle (we got it on the first try - a first apparently!), everyone got to try their dogs on sheep to see where we all fit in on the scheme of things.

As is usual, Porsche was a bit of a gong show when she picked up the sheep but settled pretty well. I was working with Dave this morning and he helped inspire some confidence in myself. In the afternoon, we were all split up to work with the three clinicians. Porsche and I got to work with Dave again. :)

We got to learn the "hula" (pressure and release)..and yes, it really does look like the hula, minus the hips! We also talked about zones of power and how to put my zone of power on the sheep,vs on the dog. Porsche also started to develop the start of a very nice fetch, but only when I was square to the sheep. It's pretty cool, actually.

I still feel as though I'm missing the visual...the end goal, I think. I think that may come when I have worked the stock more - not my dog, the stock. I definitely need more stock time.

Oh yes...I also learned to point my stock stick, claim my space and move...it's cool and it works when I remember to do it! LOL

Well that's enough for me today, I think...a lot to remember, more to learn - I'm at the point where I know so little I don't know what else there IS to learn! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment