Friday, August 28, 2009

Afternoon with John Carter

Porsche and I worked with John Carter this afternoon. There is a big difference in his teaching style compared to Trudy and Dave. It was very interesting to watch him instruct both myself and others and a great learning experience.

This afternoon was all about the basics. Porsche doesn't have a solid stop, so that's what we worked on. John had me put Porsche in a sit-stay and then move away towards the sheep. Once I was mid way, I called her to me. Part way to me, I asked her to stop. If she stopped, I moved closer to the sheep, and in essence, she was rewarded with a greater chance of getting the sheep if she continued.

The exercise was very effective and brought a number of things to the forefront. First of all, Porsche is an obedient dog who wants to please me. Secondly, she is VERY aware of my body language and stock stick so I have to be aware of what I'm doing with them. Thirdly, she covers very well and can do so at a very nice slow controlled pace.

After she found balance, she walked up gently and life was good!!

I hope to use today's exercise to introduce Porsche to the sheep tomorrow and then continue to work on balance.

Porsche flanks nice and wide, for the most part, as long as she's not moving too quickly.

One other point of interest - I have spent the past year or so restraining my energy, as I have had a tendency to steam roll my dogs in the past. What's interesting was that in order to get Porsche to stop sometimes, John had me "get big" - not to go towards her, go backwards, actually, but when she didn't obey, but the pressure on and then the second she gave even a little, release the pressure immediately. Hard for me because I have a difficult time "letting go" that quickly. I'll do if for my Porsche dog, though! :) She's a good worker and really wants to be right.

It's interesting...I watch a lot of the other dogs at my level and Porsche has one thing that many of them don't right now (though I'm sure it will come!), perhaps because she isn't a tight eye breed. Not sure what it is, but Porsche is happy to go slow if you give her the opportunity. If you put her brain in a thinking state, she'd rather move slowly and make the right move, rather than moving quickly...worried about making a mistake, but we'll use it for now.

Great session and more of a foundation to build on! Thanks, John!!




No comments:

Post a Comment